Slayton City Council Back in Chambers 

GLC DEMO to Start in June

The Slayton City Council met on Monday, May 17th. All council members were present, and the meeting was held back in the council chambers at city hall. The agenda was approved with additions as well as the meeting minutes from May 3rd and the additional claims for April.

 

The first item of business that was discussed was the Conditional Use Permit for the MN Signature Care building project at the old Golden Living Center (GLC) Site. This property had never had a Conditional Use Permit zoned R2 and has been operating as a nursing home prior to the zoning changes in the late 70’s.  The recommendation from the Zoning Commission was to approve the CUP which the Council did. Mitch and Matt Pallansch were in attendance on behalf of MN Signature Care. They updated the Council on the progress. At this time the estimated time for the construction to start is July 1st. In the coming weeks they will do a site survey and soil boring for the project. They anticipate the project to take 6-8 months which puts the opening at possibly March if everything goes as planned. They haven’t found a general contractor yet and will be going out for bids soon. The Council looks forward to the progress of the project and what it will bring to our community.

 

The next item of business was a Broadband Grant that was awarded to our area. The grant area includes part of the City of Slayton and part of the rural area around. Because of the structure of the grant that was awarded to Woodstock Communications, the City of Slayton will need to act as the fiscal host. Slayton, Murray County and Woodstock Communication, with the help of Finley Engineering, will be submitting the necessary paperwork to the State. The Council approved this project which will result in no out of pocket expenses to the City. There will be a joint hearing with the County on June 1st at 9am.

 

Moving on, the Council next discussed the purchase request for a new clam bucket for the loaded. This is a budgeted item for 2021 with the cost being split between the Capital Improvement Fund and the Water Fund. They plan to put the old bucket out on MInnBid to see if they can get more than what the trade-in is offering. The Council approved moving forward with this purchase.

 

They next approved the resolution for the Airport Improvement Land Acquisition. This is part of the grant funding process and requires approval from the Council before moving on. Both the Airport Layout Plan and the Runway Sealcoat projects were selected for grant funding. These projects are paid 95% by the State and the remaining 5% by the City.

 

The asbestos removal is underway by M.A.A.C. When the initial study was done of the GLC building, they didn’t test all of the pipe joints for asbestos thinking it wasn’t everywhere in the building. It has been discovered that 45 additional areas have asbestos and need to be removed properly. This will be an additional cost of $13,500. The Council approved this increase and to continue with the project.

 

The last item of business was to approve the purchase of a lot in the Prairie Estates development to Duane and Leatrice Kirchner. This property is on the south side of the development.

 

With no other business the meeting was adjourned and the next City Council meeting will be June 7th at 7pm.