Oldest church in murray county celebrates 150th anniversary
Members, former members, friends, and pastors will celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the founding of the First Presbyterian Church of Currie on Sunday, August 8 at 1:00 pm with a program and refreshments to follow. This church is the oldest church in Murray County.
The first church was organized on September 3, 1871 when a group of pioneers met in a grove at the outlet of Lake Shetek. Rev. Ransom Waite, a circuit rider from Ghent traveling by horseback, was the first pastor of this little congregation.
Services were held in the grove and log cabins until the Fall of 1873, when plans for building a house of worship began. The plans were for a simple structure of 20’ x 32’ with an attached entry for a cost of approximately $900. On February 2, 1874, Mr. and Mrs. Neil Currie (for whom the town was named) donated lots 11 and 12 for the church.
During the past 150 years many changes have occurred, the biggest being moving the church from “up town” to its final resting place at the End-O-Line Railroad Park in Currie. This move took place in 2005 when Mrs. Hugh (Louise) Gervais was the park manager. Due to declining membership and funds, the congregation feared the church would come to disrepair. Being the first church of Murray County, it was important to the history of the county that the church be saved. A former member of the church, Mrs. Norman Hoge (nee Zorada Silvernale) financed the move. It was a great move and the church looks right at home in the park with other historical buildings.
The church still holds services at End-O-Line on Sundays at 11:00 am. Currently David Erickson, Lay Pastor, services Currie and Tracy Presbyterian Church. We continue to honor our ancestors by keeping our hearts and doors open praising God and preserving our heritage for generations to come.